I think the main problem is not the work to enter the code, but rather
the work to find out how to do it.

I usually feel uncomfortable editing properties directly because it feels like interaction with the core at too low a level of abstraction. If these internal properties are changed or renamed, the lilypond input files using them break. And I'm pretty certain that convert-ly cannot solve all such matters.

If convenient macros are defined in the distribution their definitions can be expected(*) to be kept up-to-date to track changing internals. Thus they are more future-proof to use.

IMHO, it is not just a matter of finding out how to do something, it is also a matter of increasing input file compatibility with future versions.

(*) Maybe it's just me being lazy though ;)