On 4/14/06, Carl D. Sorensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Actually, complex numbers are nothing more than 2-D vectors, but in the
> real-imaginary plane rather than the x-y plane.  In fact, when we use
> complex numbers, we draw them in a plane indistinguishable from x-y
> (real is x, imaginary is y).  So I think that if guile has built-in
> complex numbers, we certainly ought to use them.

The complex numbers form a field.  The 2-D vectors don't.  A complex
number suggests that the real and imaginary components are of a
different nature, whereas 2-D vectors are symmetrical in their
components.  Vectors could be implemented using complex numbers, but I
think identifying them is ugly.

David