On Aug 20, 2011, at 10:30 AM, m...@apollinemike.com wrote:

>> http://codereview.appspot.com/4808082/diff/13002/lily/tuplet-bracket.cc#newcode669
>> lily/tuplet-bracket.cc:669: // have to re_run numbers to check for
>> number-on-number collisions
>> This is getting a bit complicated.  Do you think it's feasible to have a
>> grob which would collect the colliding brackets and do the collision
>> avoidance as a separate positioning-done callback?
>>

> This would certainly avoid the guestimation of the numbers' positions...
> I'll do some digging and get back to you!

So the digging has been done and the results are almost there.  I have a new
(broken) patch set up that shows the state of things.
The problem is a circular dependency: in
Tuplet_bracket::calc_position_and_height, there is a variable my_offset that
tries to look up the Y-offset of the grob.  This triggers positioning-done in
the Y-parent, which already needs to know the positions that will eventually be
furnished by calc_position_and_height.

If anyone sees an obvious workaround, let me know!  I'll let it simmer for a
couple days and see if I can come up with something as well.

Cheers,
MS