On Aug 29, 2011, at 10:55 AM, Graham Percival wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 09:15:54AM +0100, Trevor Daniels wrote:
>>
>> Graham Percival wrote Monday, August 29, 2011 8:53 AM
>>
>>> Moral of the story?  pay more attention to patch countdowns, I
>>
>> I've given up looking at code-change patch count-downs.
>> If you force patches through at the present rate
>> they're not going to be carefully reviewed.
>
> I'm open to suggestions.  The development team is producing
> approximately 20 patches (including drafts) per week.  We could
> always tell some programmers to bugger off, but that seems highly
> counter-productive.  :)

I'm also against this.  I do not have time during the school year to do as much
development as I'd like (I think several of us are in this situation).  I try
to review as much as possible in my areas of expertise, but I agree that review
cannot happen as fast as development is currently happening.  However, I
believe that everyone on the current development team is willing to take
responsibility for their work and, if it does result in bugs, to spend the time
necessary to eliminate them as fast as possible.  Obviously, the faster a
process moves, the more prone it is to error.  I would rather, however, see
LilyPond develop at its current pace and put confidence in its developers to
take responsibility for their actions then slow down development.

> Another idea would be to try forcing people to review patches.  I
> don't see that going well, either.

I also agree that this is bad.  On this subject (though not directly related),
I will say that when people have solicited me individually for review, I have
always done it.  Similarly, whenever I have asked for certain individual's
feedback, I have always gotten it.  It would be great to have a culture of
informal requests this to get extra revisions on Rietveld - we all more or less
know who does what well, and part of the confidence I talk about in the
paragraph above is the confidence to be able to evaluate one's own abilities in
a domain and to seek help when necessary.

Cheers,
MS