Janek Warchoł <janek.lilyp...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 9:45 PM, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Graham Percival <gra...@percival-music.ca> writes:
>>> Sure.  So we're asking if TeX can be tweaked to consider
>>> additional solutions.  (namely, "always add a line-break before
>>> anything with an overfull hbox, regardless of what that makes the
>>> rest of that paragraph look lik")
>>
>> Sure, that is what the emergencystretch stuff (and the @finalout command
>> explained in the Texinfo chapter I cited) are all about.  You can tell
>> TeX to go ahead and choose ugly rather than flag the problematic
>> paragraphs parts.
>
> Uh, it seems that i misunderstood you, then.  My impression after reading
> the email you sent 7 hrs ago was that using emergencystretch and/or
> @finalout will have bad side-effects on the paragraphs that are
> typeset correctly by default.
> Looks i was mistaken, then.

emergencystretch kicks only in in situations where TeX would otherwise
give up.  It then pretend-adds the given additional stretchability, and
rebreaks the paragraph under that changed assumption (with an
emergencystretch of 0.9\hsize, TeX is fine with 90% of the line
consisting of stretched spaces).  @finalout merely switches off the big
black rule displayed at lines not being breakable under the given
parameters, but does not change the breaking: it just does not mark the
lines sticking out.

--
David Kastrup