Adam,

On 30 January 2013 00:22, Adam Spiers <lilypond-de...@adamspiers.org> wrote:

> Whilst the procedure of marking an issue as fixed, with an additional
> Fixed_mm_MM_ss label, is briefly mentioned at the end of the "Issue
> classification section" in the Contributor's Guide:
>

> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/contributor/issue-classification
>
> it is slightly misleading, and also omits important details:
>
>   - Fixed_mm_MM_ss suggests fixed width, e.g. Fixed_02_17_01, but this
>     is not the case.  It would be better to call it Fixed_X_Y_Z.
>
>   - What's the correct value of X, Y, and Z?  (Answer is presumably
>     that they come from MAJOR_VERSION, MINOR_VERSION, and PATCH_LEVEL
>     in $LILYPOND_GIT/VERSION)

Yes although I am not sure, do we call 'Z' in your example 'patch level'?
It might be better to give an example as well.

Fixed_2_17_11

If you are editing this part it might be nice to explain how to find out
which values (esp for Z) to use. I.e. I check the last Tag in URI '
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git' whereas they may be
better ways. Aiming parts of the CG at the correct audience with the
correct level of 'technical description based on their ability' is a bit of
an art especially for people like myself, who know just enough to be
dangerous.

>   - Are developers supposed to mark the issue as fixed immediately
>     after pushing the corresponding patch series to staging, or should
>     they first wait for the tests to automatically advance master?

The assumption is that once someone has pushed to Staging it should be
considered 'fixed', else I think you would cause extra irritation where the
dev has to check back again, make sure it is in master and then update the
tracker. It is better in my opinion to assume fixed once it has been pushed
to staging so the dev can update the tracker labels _at the same time_ they
put in the commit reference to help the bugsquad/verifiers.

The patch ought (but not always) to have some reference to the tracker so
that in the unlikelycase it gets pushed and breaks master nonetheless there
is an easy way to go back and set the tracker to 'needs_work' once it has
been reverted (or whatever ends up being done).

> Additionally, the above information still needs to be explicitly
> referenced from the two[1] places where pushing to staging is
> documented:
>

> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/contributor/git-for-the-impatient
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/contributor/pushing-to-staging
>
> I think it would be better to reference via links back to the 'Issue
> classification' section, rather than have the same information
> duplicated three times.

I have no strong feelings either way. I think the design of the CG is that
someone should be able to pick it up and based on their abilities not have
to jump about the doc to find things they need (again depending on their
ability and requirement). If that means repeating things then I don't
necessarily think that is a bad thing as long as what is repeated is either
copied verbatim or perhaps rewritten for the audience that the section is
referring to (i.e. experienced devs vs non-experienced devs).

Obviously this doesn't apply to the other documents, the CG is always a
work-in-progress where we don't tend to mind chatty style, loose formatting
of instructions and so on compared to say the Notation Reference.

> Thanks,
> Adam
>
> [1] Speaking of duplication, why do we document the procedure for
> pushing to staging twice?  The version in 'Git for the impatient' is
> hardly any shorter than the full version in 'Pushing to staging', and
> violating the DRY rule increases the maintenance burden and also risks
> information becoming out of date in one of the two places.  Should
> impatient git users even be allowed to push to staging?

As long as someone who is not familiar with GIT or doesn't do programming
(like me) doesn't have to navigate through something designed for people
who are (for example) going to create personal seerate branches with all
the popping and pushing and rebasing malarky that I don't do or need to
know to do what I do for LP.

James