On 20 mars 2013, at 03:24, d...@gnu.org wrote:

> since
> and
>> >
>> > I vote for detached.
>
>> I vote for \broken.  For me, it doesn't imply two pieces.  This was
>> David's first, quick suggestion, and I think it's good for exactly
>> this reason.
>
> The first suggestion just picked this off the proposed music event name.
> Here is why I consider \fake or \detached better:
>
> when I see \broken\< or \broken\!, this does not really help me figure
> out where to use them.  \broken\! actually looks, uh, broken.  How do
> you break an end spanner?
>
> However, \fake\< or \fake\! immediately make clear that we are talking
> about something still being used in the function of a starting and
> ending spanner, respectively.

Trying to put myself in the shoes of the average user, \fake would not mean a
function that uses a fake post event, but rather a function that produces a
\fake something.  I would think "this makes a fake slur", which is not the case.

I like \detached because it describes accurately what is going on - if I were
reading the manual and saw that \detached ( created a slur detached from
noteheads, I'd remember the command.  \broken slightly less because we are not
always breaking something (we are only doing that with \breakSlur).

Cheers,
MS