>> I installed Noto Serif JP, and added it to the fontcofig cache.
>> That got me through the previous file error.  But then I got
>> stopped on another Japanese font (I suppose this might be a Linux
>> Libertine font, but my fc-list command shows that I have them
>> installed):

Interesting.  This shouldn't happen.  The idea is that the set of
fonts used for building the documentation is closed and well-defined.
'Noto Serif JP' is intended to cover all CJK testing stuff in
LilyPond.

> I was able to successfully complete 'make test' by commenting out the
> following lines in  input/regression/typography-demo.ly:
>
>   % Font settings for Cyrillic and Hebrew
>   % Linux Libertine fonts contain Cyrillic and Hebrew glyphs.
>   %property-defaults.fonts.serif = "Linux Libertine O,serif"
>   %property-defaults.fonts.sans = "Linux Biolinum O,sans-serif"
>   %property-defaults.fonts.typewriter = "Linux Libertine Mono O,monospace"

Aah, this looks like a bug in `typography-demo.ly`.  Please try the
following line in `typography-demo.ly` instead of the three original
font lines.

```
property-defaults.fonts.serif = "Linux Libertine O, Noto Serif CJK JP, Noto
Serif JP, serif"
```

    Werner