> I can confirm that I get the proper HTML pages, compiling with -j10
> on both make bytecode and make doc.

Great!

> It was delightful to see the proper lilypond website on my local
> file system!  Thank you so much for fixing this!

Glad that I could help.  I will now polish the MR as requested by
Jonas.

>> The last step – I hope – will be to find out why `CPU_COUNT` fails...
>>

> I will see if I can make CPU_COUNT fail.  If not, I guess the build
> system is good on MacOS!

The actual question is whether it works at all, i.e., whether setting
`CPU_COUNT=10` makes your system really compile multiple `.ly` files
in parallel.  Given that I've seen

  thread_suspend failed

in your log files I suspect that LilyPOnd simply switches to serial
processing instead.  If you don't get a timing difference (which means
that my assumption is correct) I will prepare something more specific
for further tests.

    Werner