On 2024-10-04 19:30, David Kastrup wrote:

I'd probably bring them into existence with something like

(define-compatibility-property 'baseMoment 'beatBase
   ly:moment? ly:moment-main ly:make-moment)

My battle with conversion doesn't end with the legacy property.

    \set Timing.beatBase = 1/4

comes through the parser as the pair `(1 . 4)` rather than the rational number `1/4`.

I don't want to store this property as a pair and require all readers to convert it to a number.

I don't want to apologize for requiring `#1/4` instead, though we seem to be in that situation already with

  * completionFactor
  * \accidental
  * \harmonicByRatio
  * \magnifyStaff
  * \text-accidental

Is that good enough?  Are there other options?
--
Dan