Maurizio Tomasi wrote:

I am typesetting an old edition of Mozart quartets, and sometimes
dynamics appear in parentheses. I manage to write these with

\score {
\context Staff {
\notes \relative c' {
c1_#'(columns (large "(") (dynamic "p") (large ")"))

but the "(p)" string is not rightly centered above the note (it is a
bit at the right because of the parentheses). I tried with the
"edge-text" of the Text Spanner grob, but without success (brackets
are not shown at all):

That's because it's not a text spanner - it's a text script. You could use the
extra-offset property to fiddle the horizontal position - the following produces
an approximately centered (p) for me:

\score {
\context Staff {
\notes \relative c' {
\property Voice.TextScript \override #'extra-offset = #'(-0.7 . 0)
c1_#'(columns (large "(") (dynamic "p") (large ")"))

To create a text spanner see Expressive marks->Text spanners in the manual.
--
chris