Lucas Gonze wrote:
Sorry to say that I tried moving the tempo command around and had no luck. It's possible that I missed whichever magic location is required, though, since my test file is from a template that I don't fully understand. I will try again with simpler Lilypond source.

Actually, it's good news to hear that this is a Lilypond-related problem, because Lilypond is open and healthy, while bloatware GUI tools are not.

Actually, the problem is that MIDI isn't really well standardized. Different MIDI interpreters (sound cards as well as software) handle these things differently. It's fully possible that you are not seeing a general Mac OS X problem but rather a problem with the specific sound card that you have.

/Mats