Thank you very much Simon It gave some great ideas.

I do get

error: bad grob property path (parent-alignment-X)

accD = -\tweak self-alignment-X -1

\tweak parent-alignment-X -1

I think that's because I am using 2.18.2 anyway it still gives me something
to work with.

The BOOK? there are lots of books on the topic of performance/performing
practice. The one I gave was Clive Brown printed 1999. Oxford University
Press.

Anyway thanks

Stephen