Hi Andrew,

> Here is my very first attempt at making custom noteheads. The shape is
> what we desire, but there are two questions that I have.
>
> 1. How does one achieve an elliptical counter in unfilled notes? I know
> how to do this in Postscript, but not here.

Sorry, I don't understand the question. :(

> 2. How can the stem alignment be corrected in the chord situation
> illustrated?

I can't test anything right now but what I can tell is that changing the
'stem-attachement' won't solve anything.
Since you're using 'rotate', the grob width remain as if the ellipse was
horizontal; So all you have to do is giving the proper dimensions of the
rotated note head.

Hope that helps a bit,
Cheers,
Pierre