On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 5:19 PM, Mats Bengtsson <mats.bengts...@ee.kth.se>
wrote:

As has already been discussed, the question is what the musical meaning of
> such a notation would be. Certainly, I can think of printed music, not to
> mention hand-written manuscripts, where dynamic marks are placed far from
> the note they are intended to match, but it won't help the musician.
> If you can show that this notation is established and has a specific
> meaning, then it might be interesting to add support in LilyPond.
> Otherwise,
> you will have to live with the more or less clumsy workarounds.

I've seen it fairly frequently.  This sort of effect is also notated like
so:

{
  c''1~\p\<
  c''16\f r8. r4 r2
}

Basically, we are trying to indicate a note lasting a whole note, which
ends at a certain dynamic.  The above notation is imprecise, of course, but
at least it helps guard against the tendency of instrumentalists to cut
notes short :)

DN