David,

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 3:48 PM, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:

> David Nalesnik <david.nales...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > (As an aside: I must say that David's suggestion of using lyrics
> > produces miraculous results without the hundreds and hundreds of lines
> > of new code!  Don't want a connector line?  Don't write a hyphen.
> > Etc.)
>
> Actually, we might have had some miscommunication.  I was not really
> suggesting using a lyrics context, just \lyricsmode as a user interface.
> The idea was more or less to pick the music expression apart and then
> let your code do the work.

OK, I see.  Using \lyricmode would be a user-friendly way to specify
markups/strings, connectors/no connectors, and relative spacing of texts
through attached durations (making the use of spacers--somewhat awkward to
handle--unnecessary).

> However, (re-)using engravers for the "picking apart" bit in a context
> without its own vertical axis group might be an interesting option.
> Want several text spanners?  Use several contexts.

I'll need to experiment a bit before I can say I understand!

Thanks,
David