Thanks for your tip, Pierre (and sorry for my delayed response).
The snippet really produces the intended output. I am still trying to
figure out how to apply this without having to redo a huge amount
of code as it is structured by now (I am typesetting a scorebook,
following a strict score layout, so I don't have much room for inserting
arbitrary polyphonic divisions in a scope where I include each voice
from an external file). But this is up to me now. Thanks again for
providing a valid method to solve my problem!

Best regards!