Hi Andrew,

I'm not sure to understand what you're looking for.
A more precise description or a teeny example would have been helpful.
Anyway, here's something I've done i order to look-like your picture:

\version "2.19.31"

my-tempo = \markup {
  %% Left arrow:
  \overlay {
    \arrow-head #X #LEFT ##f
    \override #'(thickness . 1.5)
    \draw-line #'(8 . 0)
  }
  \hspace #0.5
  \lower #0.5

  %% Note value 1:
  \overlay {
    \raise #3.5 \beam #0.7 #-.5 #.4
    \raise #2.8 \beam #1.0 #-.5 #.4
    \override #'(thickness . 1.5)
    \draw-line #'(0 . 3.5)
    \rotate #10
    \translate #'(-0.05 . 0.1)
    \musicglyph #"noteheads.s2"
  }
  \lower #1 "="
  \hspace #0.5
  \lower #0.5

  %% Note value 2:
  \overlay {
    \raise #3.5 \beam #0.7 #-.5 #.4
    \raise #2.8 \beam #1.0 #-.5 #.4
    \raise #2.1 \beam #1.3 #-.5 #.4
    \override #'(thickness . 1.5)
    \draw-line #'(0 . 3.5)
    \rotate #10
    \translate #'(-0.05 . 0.1)
    \musicglyph #"noteheads.s2"
  }
  \hspace #0.5

  %% Right arrow:
  \overlay {
    \arrow-head #X #RIGHT ##f
    \override #'(thickness . 1.5)
    \draw-line #'(-8 . 0)

\relative {
  \tweak extra-offset #'(4 . 0)
  \tempo \my-tempo
  \tuplet 5/4 8 { g'32 g g g g g g g g g } s
}

HTH,
Pierre