I think he should adhere to the original look and feel. After all the work is
entirely embedded in the 18c cultural milieu – figured bass practice, can’t get
much more 18c than that – and the urge to squash everything into our
Barenreiter Common Era practice look and feel should be relaxed somewhat
occasionally. This is really closely related to the seemingly unpopular thread
recently on curved beams. I for one take effort to make my contemporary scores
match the aesthetic of the composer they are from, and my 18c scores to have
some sort of 18c feel where possible. Perhaps I should buy some copper sheet
and a set of gravers. :-)

Andrew

On 21/12/2015, 11:10, "Simon Albrecht"
<lilypond-user-bounces+andrew.bernard=gmail....@gnu.org on behalf of
simon.albre...@mail.de> wrote:

For a reengraving it’s definitely better to have them outside the staff,
together with the actual figures. One shouldn’t try sticking too closely
to the appearance of 18th century writing/engraving.