In my experience, at least, hemiolas are the exception, rather than the norm.

From the standpoint of a trained musician, I would think that the hemiola
should be the exception rather than the norm... or at least that's what they
taught me in theory, harmony, and composition.

From the standpoint of a working (volunteer!) musician, anything that helps me
find/maintain the pulse is both helpful and appreciated.

Is it be time to reevaluate the "default" Lilypond beaming for 3/4
compositions?  Alternately, or in addition, might it at least be appropriate to
include some special guidance for 3/4 "eccentricities"?

Just a few thoughts...

Karen