> On Apr 11, 2016, at 2:23 AM, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> Stanton Sanderson <stans...@gmail.com <mailto:stans...@gmail.com>> writes:
>
>> Here is another (perhaps less elegant) solution:
>>
>> rh = \relative c'' {
>>      <<
>>            \voiceOne
>>            {
>>                  c2.~ | \stemDown \shiftOnn  c
>>            }
>>            \\
>>            \new Voice {
>>                  \voiceTwo
>>                  s2. | \shiftOnn af2 s4
>>            }
>>            \\
>>            \new Voice {
>>                  \voiceFour
>>                  <bf! g ef>4 af g~ | g f ef |
>>            }
>>>>
>> }
>
> The usual voice orders from top to bottom are
> 1 3 5 6 4 2
>
> namely starting with the outer voices and progressing inwards.  That
> makes \\ become increasingly awkward as you go beyond two voices.
>
> It would have been saner to let \\ follow that convention, but changing
> that now would make all heck break loose.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

David and Andrew-

Thank you for the reminders. Usually my coding barely scratches the surface of
Lilypond’s capabilities, so the fact that the result appeared correct was my
motivation for submitting the “solution.” I realize that unorthodox coding
could produce unexpected results with future versions of Lilypond.

Again, thank you for your comments. There is much to learn!

Stan