On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 02:56:47PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:

> Upgrading to a newer version of GCC stopped our release process from
> working for several months.  That's exactly the kind of "it should not
> be a big deal" that you are talking about here.

That's why the upgrades should be planned in advance before there's few time
left.

Python 2 will reach end of life in 2020 (no bugfix releases from that date).
I guess that in 4 years Linux distros will "have to" (?) migrate to python3.
We might find ourselves in a similar position as for guile1.8/guile2

I would not discourage Andrew.
The task is difficult but it's worth the effort. I hope that he'll try
to tackle it and get support by this community.