On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 7:58 AM, Matt Hood <mattho...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I’ve got a non-technical question regarding mode of pitch input. What does
> everyone prefer? Relative, absolute, or a mix of both?

I always use relative.

> I’ve always stuck to relative, but I feel like I’ve hit a brick wall as
> far as fluency goes. I’m still quite slow at it, and I spend half of my
> time trying to work out whether I need to change octave or not - usually
> getting it wrong, and watching half of a page disappear into ledger lines.

Fluency should come with use. I still make mistakes, but mine often come
from copy and paste. That being said, it's usually not too hard to figure
out where the mistake occurred.

> Add in temporary polyphonic passages, chords, etc, and it all just becomes
> an exercise in trial and error. Any tips for keeping control?

Only tip : on chords, look first at the first note in each chord; those are
the notes that determine the octave. The following notes within the chord
are related *only* to the preceding note within that chord. So, I make sure
the first note of a chord is correctly related to the preceding note (the
last one before the chord) or the *first* note of the preceding chord.

Happy and rewarding engraving to you,

Ralph

--
Ralph Palmer