On Thursday, 26 May 2016, Michael Hendry <hendry.mich...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I seem to have struck an interesting chord, here!

Definitely!

> Another phenomenon about which I have doubts involves people who claim
> that when they hear music in “sharp” keys (e.g. G, D, A, E) their
> experience is of brightness, while the flat keys make for a more sombre
> sound. I’ve even heard in a radio interview that this applies to F# and Gb
> (the one bright, the other dull).

I experience the same from a string player's perspective. But in my humble
opinion it is a combination of 2 factors. One depends on harmonics induced
in the instrument played, the other is a more subjective element: often
'sharper' keys tend to play music at a higher pitch too, which results to
brightening of the music played. Maybe because a lot of written music
wanders around the natural scale of the clef, which goes up 1 full tone per
2 extra sharps (circle of fifths).

To get back to the former point, playing F minor (4 flats) on the cello
dulls most natural harmonics on the open strings, which results in an
eerie, almost dead color. To my ears at least.

Just my (musical) 2 cents,

Olivier