Hi Mike,

I am following this thread with ever increasing dismay. In order to help, I
made a virtul machine here running Centos 6.7 and installed lilypond
2.18.2. Everything works fine. No issues at all.

Having worked as a professional IT software developer, sysadmin, and
enterprise architect for decades, may I suggest that there is something
Seriously Messed Up (TM) with the server your hosting provider has given
you. A clue to this is the discussion previously about the prompt
convention being wrong, which, seemingly trivial, nevertheless points to
the fact that the staff this vendor employs do not know what they are
doing, I’d say.

In all seriousness, if I were you, rather than wasting any more time on
this, I would be looking at another hosting provider.

This is supposed to be helpful, not merely critical - from reading this
thread, you are never going to solve this, and if you do, I would still be
of the opinion that you are working in a very broken environment, with
endless trouble to come.

[FWIW, the tar on the Centos 6.7 I downloaded is 1.23 and works fine.]

Andrew