Jacques,

I've been playing with this for awhile.
My summary: I wanted the chorus on one page and the verses on page two, so I inserted the \pageBreak. It made two pages, but stretched the score to fit the page by inserting space between the staves. But I wanted the staves to look normal on the page.

Funny thing is that neither ragged command does anything
    ragged-last-bottom = ##f
    ragged-bottom = ##f

However, this line fixes the vertical spacing
system-system-spacing = #'((basic-distance . 0.3) (padding . 2) )

But I needed this line to bring the score on the first page back to the top markup-system-spacing = #'((basic-distance . 0.3) (padding . 2) ) %re-aligns the first page to th top

Not very straightforward, but it works!
Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Here's my score:
\score{
<<
    \new Staff {  \chorus \pageBreak \verses }
     \chorusLyrics
    \firstVerse
    \secondVerse

\layout{}