> I'd also add that it is not so much the case the lilypond is broken
> and fails to function, but that lilypond just fails to provide a
> particular function that you have need of.

By broken I mean failing to behave as the documentation says it should.

see here:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/bars#bar-lines

"In scores with many staves, a \bar command in one staff is automatically
applied to all staves. The resulting bar lines are connected between
different staves of a StaffGroup, PianoStaff, or GrandStaff."
Are you saying that the current behavior is intentional, that the Lilypond
developers think that is how those bar lines should look?  I don't know
that I've ever seen someone draw a chart like that.  If this is how the
program is intended to behave there is, of course, no need for a bug report.