Thanks, I did look into this, and instead of a warning, I get no change.

See below for what I used.

\version "2.18.2"

notesA = {
  c'
}

vOne = \lyricmode {

vTwo = \lyricmode {

\score {
  <<
    \new Voice = "mel" { \notesA }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "mel" { \vOne }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "mel" { \vTwo }

  \layout {
      \context {
        \Lyrics
          \override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(-5 . 40)

IX,

Josh