On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 9:41 AM, Abraham Lee <tisimst.lilyp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Urs,
>
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 9:29 AM, Urs Liska <u...@openlilylib.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a question regarding complicated orchestral material. Note that I
>> don't need a solution right now, only a plausible estimate if that's
>> possible to implement at all.
>>
>> Consider the situation of a staff with two partcombined voices (say,
>> flutes). If there are spots (measures or ranges of measures) where the
>> voices are so individualized or complex that the part combination becomes
>> unreadable I would like to split this range (measure) to two individual
>> staves.
>>
>> The attached image shows the (manually constructed) intended result.
>> Let's assume I would consider m. 7 too complex to be combined and therefore
>> want the whole "current" system to be split in two staves.
>>
>> The ideal way would be to have an automatic function that I can call
>> within such a measure (tagging it as "non-combinable") that would:
>>
>>    - Determine in which system I'm currently in and from where to where
>>    it spans (i.e. previous and next line break)
>>    - Create a temporary staff for exactly that range
>>    - Copy the music of the second voice to that staff
>>    - remove the second voice from the current staff
>>    - (suppress partcombine texts)
>>
>> In the potential score at hand the music will be maintained in a measure
>> based grid. That means if I could get just the first of these (i.e..
>> determining the current and previous line breaks) I *might* be able to
>> achieve something. But it would be a great feature (and a "selling point"
>> for LilyPond) if we could integrate it. I got this request from a
>> professional engraver who says it's a problem he's dealing with all the
>> time: manually handling the combination and temporary splitting of voices
>> in a staff - and especially fixing things if the line breaking happens to
>> change. He said it would be a dramatic advantage if LilyPond could do that
>> automatically.
>>
>> Any suggestions welcome.
>>
> I believe this thread would interest you:
>
> http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Keep-alive-
> together-call-for-use-cases-tp193723.html
>
> Best,
> Abraham

Here's the official archived thread start:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-08/msg00256.html

and a message in that thread that shows a more complex example:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-08/msg00396.html

What it comes down to is the need to have a staff for all three scenarios:
1. Flute 1 staff
2. Flute 2 staff
3. Flute 1/2 combined staff

The examples demonstrate how to tell LP when/how to keep which staff alive,
which conveniently doesn't require you to know which system the
"non-combinable" passage ends up on. That is all handled automagically
(Thanks, Mark!). You simply add a mark for where the "non-combinable"
section starts and stops and LP handles the frenching.

Best,
Abraham