On Sat, Dec 31, 2016 at 12:46 PM, David Nalesnik
<david.nales...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 31, 2016 at 11:27 AM, David Nalesnik
> <david.nales...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 31, 2016 at 11:20 AM, David Nalesnik
>> <david.nales...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hmmm....
>>>
>>> I'm having misgivings about the idea of fixed space between symbols.
>>>
>>> Looking at several Breitkopf & Härtel parts, I see rests spaced to
>>> fill available space.  Though, because spacing is compact, we never
>>> see the awful behavior Jan-Peter's example reveals.
>>>
>>> http://imslp.org/wiki/Symphony_No.2,_Op.73_(Brahms,_Johannes)#Parts
>>> http://imslp.org/wiki/Symphony_No.1,_Op.21_(Beethoven,_Ludwig_van)#Parts
>>>
>>> Instead of having fixed spacing between symbols, would it be better to
>>> have a limit on how much a rest can be stretched?  This would be
>>> expressed in staff-spaces (like the current minimum which is
>>> hard-coded as 1 staff-space).

The patch has been put on a second countdown period.  I'm considering
that LilyPond's behavior is in fact correct, and that the overly
spread symbols is simply an issue with spacing that is too loose -- in
short, an issue that rests with the user.

If it's desired, I could retool the patch to enforce a maximum;
however, it may be best to withdraw the patch entirely.

Does someone who sees a lot of parts have an opinion?  The examples
I've seen have very economical spacing, and rests are allowed to
spread to fill the allotted space.

Best,
David