Hi Bernhard,

It is actually an alist (an association list), so you have to say, for
example:

  markup-system-spacing.basic-distance = #10

or set all the properties in the alist at once with something like:

  markup-system-spacing =
    #'((basic-distance . 12)
       (minimum-distance . 6)
       (padding . 1)
       (stretchability . 12))

I know it is somewhat confusing the first time you come across these alist
structures.

Andrew