Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

Ben: Yes, I do use Frescobaldi; it's definitely my editor-of-choice after
trying several different solutions. My favorite thing about Frescobaldi is
that it is lightweight... hopefully the long-term plans of adding lots more
functionality to Frescobaldi do not make it unwieldy.

Richard: Your video was really impressive. On my first try, however, Denemo
was really frustrating. The tooltips took me at good 5-10 minutes to figure
out, then every time I tried to connect my midi keyboard, it crashed.
Perhaps I'll try again sometime soon. I'm sure that, like LilyPond, it's
worth getting over the learning curve.

David: I wish I could help with Frescobaldi development. Perhaps in the
summers I will have time to work on learning enough to help.

Nathan: I loved your suggestions, and after trying them this month, found
they really helped me. I think I was so slow before because I would compile
and check the output every few bars. When I put it all in quickly, then
proof, it goes much faster. Thanks!

Ivan: Thanks for your suggestion to use Vim. I've used Vim somewhat and
like it for terminal editing. Frescobaldi is definitely my favorite right
now, though.

Thanks again everyone!

Sam