I confess I did not, and I just looked at it - yikes - that's a LOT of
stuff to read through.

My goal - at least right now - is not to become an expert but produce a
working arrangement (which I have been able to do). Thus, it will likely be
a while before I read/work through the tutorial.

Interestingly, I did do a search for clef notation and did not realize that
the result of the search was a more recent version (not the one you pointed
me at): http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/clef-styles -
this newer version doesn't refer to the clef suffixes - I'm assuming/hoping
those will still work when the dev version becomes stable.

Mark.