Noeck <noeck.marb...@gmx.de> writes:

> Dear Peter,
>
> Am 07.02.2017 um 14:04 schrieb Peter Toye:
>> I'd have expected a Dynamic staff to be a descendent of Staff. I was wrong!
>
> This is wrong in your case. But it is not completely out of scope. A
> TabStaff for instance is derived from a Staff:
>
> \new TabStaff {
>   \override Staff.Clef.font-size = -5
>   a b c d
> }

It isn't as much "derived from" as it is a redefined copy.  But the act
of copying is a red herring here: it would make no difference if you
defined it in the same manner from scratch.

The important thing is that the definition of TabStaff contains a line

    \alias "Staff"

and it is that line and nothing else which makes Staff-level overrides
register on a TabStaff.

The original code would have worked fine after

\layout {
  \context {
    \Dynamics
    \alias "Staff"

as well, but I am skeptical that one would _want_ such an alias.

--
David Kastrup