On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 8:03 PM Kieren MacMillan <
kieren_macmil...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> In the snippet, below, the font-name override kills the \italic as set in
> the \header.
> Is there any way to avoid that [without having to hack the title into two
> separate functions/parameters]?
>
> Thanks,
> Kieren.
>
> %%%  SNIPPET BEGINS
> \version "2.19.59"
>
> \paper {
>   bookTitleMarkup = ##f
>   scoreTitleMarkup = \markup {
>     \override #'(font-name . "Minion Pro")
>     \fromproperty #'header:title
>   }
> }
>
> \header {
>   title = \markup { "SATB chorus" \italic "a cappella" }
> }
>
> \new Devnull s1
> %%%  SNIPPET ENDS

The reason it breaks the \italic is because you don't tell LilyPond that
there _is_ an italic variant when all you do is override the font-name like
that.

The better way would be to add a text font to the "fonts" tree because it
looks for the four standard family members (regular, italic, bold, and
bold-italic). I think the scheme function is "add-text-fonts". You can find
how it's used in the file [LILYDIR]/scm/font.scm.

With the font family added (let's say it's the 'minion family), you the
change to it with

\markup {
  \override #'(font-family . 'minion)

And if Pangolin found the italic variant, you shouldn't need to do anything
else other than \italic like normal.

Best,
Abraham