Hello Don, Urs and all,

just to summarize what I was talking about recently at the Music Encoding
Conference in Tours. Yes, I am working on an API to provide a generalized plug
for modules that are able to write MusicXML, MEI, Humdrum and others. I am not
familiar with ABC, but maybe one can work on it *when* I can present some tidy
code.
In fact for my presentation I created to modules to write Humdrum and MusicXML.
But those are not complete right now - no ties, now slurs and a lot more
missing. But it writes the notes correctly and I can open the generated
MusicXML with MuseScore. I will present it to the community after tidying up
the code.
My vision is to have an API that also allows Import modules. That way LilyPond
can be a chain-link in a multiformat toolchain. Others can make use of its
great typesetting and LilyPond-users (like me) can make use of the great tools
outside Lilys world.

Jan-Peter