Hi Andrew,

please always provide a minimum working example (MWE) possibly together with a
sketchup of what you wish to achieve.

Here is how I understood your problem:

%-- snip --

\version "2.19.59"

music = \repeat unfold 20 { c' }

verseI = \lyricmode {
  \set stanza = "1"
  "[ qua ]"  te ro go, "[a" ni -- "mæ]" in coe -- li "[culmi" -- "ne,]" da
}
verseIb = \lyricmode {
  "[queis]" \skip 8 \skip 8 \skip 8 "[ a" ni -- "mis]" \skip 8 \skip 8 \skip 8
"[ gaudi" -- "is,]"
}

verseII = \lyricmode {
  \set stanza = "2"
  re      --  cre a bit, san gui nic "[e" -- i -- "dem]" guttu -- lam, si
}
verseIIb = \lyricmode {
  \repeat unfold 7 { \skip 8 } "[e" -- is -- "dem]"
}

\music
\addlyrics { \verseI }
\addlyrics { \verseIb }