Jérôme Plût <plut.jer...@gmail.com> writes:

> I tried applying the contents of
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/flexible-vertical-spacing-within-systems
> to move the figured bass a bit closer to the staff:
>
> \version "2.19.54"
> \score { { \new StaffGroup <<
>       \new Staff { \clef "F" c d e f }
>   \new Lyrics \with {
>       \override VerticalAxisGroup.nonstaff-relatedstaff-spacing =
>       #'((basic-distance . 1) (stretchability . 0))
>   } \lyrics { "c"4 "d" "e" "f" }
>   \new FiguredBass \with {
>       \override VerticalAxisGroup.nonstaff-nonstaff-spacing =
>       #'((basic-distance . 1))
>   } \figures { <5>4 <5>4 <5> <5> }
>>> } \layout { indent = 0 \cm }
>
> Yet this stupid figured bass does not move, even if I input a
> ridiculously large value for 'basic-distance.
>
> What is happening?

\lyrics is the same as \new Lyrics \lyricmode ... so your own \new
Lyrics is contentless.  Same with \figures and \new FiguredBass
\figuremode ...

I find that overriding the settings (both!) in the Lyrics context works
fine.

Either use the \...mode constructs or use \lyrics \with { ... } ... and
\figures \with { ... } ... .

--
David Kastrup