This should be simple, but I just can't seem to get it to work.  I'm
working on re-doing a lot of our church music, and use variables
extensively to help make the .ly files more readable. There are a lot of
places where one vocal part splits and we want the "secondary" notes to be
smaller, resulting in code like this:

        <f  \tweak font-size #-2  f,>1

What I want to do is replace the "tweak" section with a variable, like
this:

        smNote = \tweak font-size #-2

        <f  \smNote  f,>1

But this results in errors:

        error: unknown escaped string: `\smNote'

        error: wrong type for argument 3.  Expecting symbol list or music,
found
#<Book>

(the "smNote" definition is at the end of the variables section, and the
first line after the variables section is "\book {" )

Some online searching came up with a few suggestions, but none of them
worked for me. Given that they worked for the original posters, I'd guess I
implemented them incorrectly, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Ideas?