Hi, Walter!

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 8:55 AM, Walter Garcia-Fontes <walter.gar...@upf.edu>
wrote:

> * Thomas Morley, thomasmorle...@gmail.com [03/04/18 16:50]:
> > Thanks, works now, although it was a little more difficult to install
> > than usual, for unknown reason.
> > I'm not an expert for fonts, so all I say here is by hearsay or simply
> guessing.
> >
> > That said, regarding the images you provided the printed '-sign is not
> > the same in LilyPond and in LibreOffice.
> > I seem to remember somebody explained that text-typesetting programs
> > sometimes use a similiar font if a sign is not available.
> >
> > Similar for bold, italic, bold-italic: if the font doesn't contain
> > them the program scales it.
> >
> > In LibreOffice doing bold and font-size 60 prints ugly as well with
> Escolar2.
> >
> > So I think the font itself is buggy.
>
> Yes, that is what I'm also suspecting, but in any case in LibreOffice
> the font gives less problems than in Lilypond. Most likely LO has more
> features to deal with this type of fonts, being a word-processing
> package.
>
> Too bad I can't convince my costumer to use something else, let's see
> what I can do.

I took at a look at the internals of the font and you're not seeing
anything unintended (unfortunately). The single ASCII apostrophe is set
abnormally low compared to most any other font out there, which is why it
looks vertically offset by LilyPond. In LibreOffice and other
word-processors, when the user hits the button on the keyboard for the
ASCII apostrophe (same goes for quotation marks), the ASCII character gets
replaced by the true (curly) typographic apostrophe, which is set in the
more appropriate vertical position. Could be just an oversight or it could
be intentional. I'm not sure, but from what I am seeing, it's a "feature"
of the font and nothing that LilyPond is doing wrong. The obvious
alternative is to use typographic aposotrophes/quotation marks in your
source file and the problem should go away, appearing just like in
LibreOffice.

Hope that helps,
Abraham