Hi Brad (or is it Marshall?)

Lilypond is enormously customisable with techniques that vary from simple
to advanced Scheme programming. You can make noteheads whatever shape you
desire.

Send an image of what you want to the list and people may be able to help
you. The current request is vague.

As to using lilypond as a 'base', it would be good if you explain that
also, then again help can be offered. What sort of music do you want to
engrave?

Andrew