I am trying to typeset a piece that includes a repeating part that loops
independently of the other music. I have been partially successful using the
documentation relating to polymetric music (see example_one.ly which, hopefully
communicates the musical idea that I am hoping to achieve). This feels like a
bit of a hack though; if I leave 'Default_bar_line_engraver' out of the bottom
Staff context bar-lines print as I need, but if I remove it explicitly the
output is incoherent; if I implicitly include it with "\consists" barlines are
drawn at seemingly unprecitable locations.
The biggest problems I have, however, are spacing issues (apparent at the
bar-lines in example_one.ly) that become much more obvious as soon as the music
becomes more complex (see example_two.ly).

Is there a way to have a staff with note spacing that is independent of the
others in the same staff group?

Thanks again to the list for the freely offered expertise and thank you to
Torsten for your help solving my issue with custom glyphs - I do not seem to
receive direct email notifications from the list (yes, I have checked my junk
mail) and it seems inappropriate to clutter the list with new 'thank you'
threads.

Cheers,
delboh

%%%%%%% spacing in unmetered staves example
\version "2.19.81"
\include "english.ly"

global = { \numericTimeSignature \time 4/4 }

staffOne = \relative c'{
           c4 f g a |
           c f g a |
           a1~ | 1

}
staffTwo = \relative c { \clef bass
       c2 g'  |
       a4 g4 c,2 |
       a1~ | a1-. |
}
staffLoop =  \relative c'' {
  \time 10/4
  \bar ".|:"  b4 c d e f g f e d c \bar ":|."
  s4^\markup "ad lib. D.C. al fine" s4
  s1 \bar "|"
}

\score {
  \new StaffGroup
  <<
    \new Staff << \staffOne   \global >>
    \new Staff << \staffTwo   \global >>
    \new Staff \with{
        \consists "Timing_translator"
%        \consists "Default_bar_line_engraver"
%        \remove "Default_bar_line_engraver"
        \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
        \remove "Clef_engraver"
        \hide Stem } \staffLoop

  \layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    \remove "Timing_translator"
    \remove "Default_bar_line_engraver"
  }
  \context {
    \Staff
    \consists "Timing_translator"
    \consists "Default_bar_line_engraver"
%%%%%%% spacing in unmetered staves example
\version "2.19.81"
\include "english.ly"

global = { \numericTimeSignature }

staffOne = \relative c'{
 \time 4/4 c16 f g a c4 g e |
 \time 7/4 r2 r4 a32 g f c f16 g a8 c f4 g |
 \time 4/4 a1~ | 1

}
staffTwo = \relative c { \clef bass
 \time 4/4 c2 g'  |
 \time 7/4 a2. g4 c,2. |
 \time 4/4 a1~ | a1-. |
}
staffLoop =  \relative c'' {
  \time 10/4
  \bar ".|:"  b4 c d e f g f e d c \bar ":|."
  s4^\markup "ad lib. D.C. al fine"
  s1*2  \bar "|"
}

\score {