Hey Ben,

When you're using markup as dynamics, don't you find that you're unable to
include those constructs in hairpins?

I went through a period where I was using straight-up text for dynamics
like you're mentioning. But the hairpin limitation moved me towards
make-dynamic-script. It's great. The other big benefit being that
indications that are made with make-dynamic-script align (vertically) with
all of Lily's other native dynamics.

I've wound up with house set of dynamic indications, too, like Andrew was
mentioning:

https://github.com/trevorbaca/baca/blob/master/lilypond/baca-dynamics.ily

Have at them if you go the make-dynamic-script way.

Trevor.

On Sun, Aug 19, 2018 at 9:00 PM Ben <soundsfromso...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/19/2018 9:17 PM, Andrew Bernard wrote:
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> This may be what you are thinking of. This way makes a proper dynamic, not
> just text markup.
>
> Andrew
>
> ====
> \version "2.19.82"
>
> fstrettoText = \markup {
>   \center-align \line {
>     \hspace #0.1 f \normal-text \italic stretto
>   }
> }
> fstretto = #(make-dynamic-script fstrettoText)
>

> {
>   c'4_\fstretto
> }
>

> Great piece of code Andrew. Thanks for that.
>
> The only reason I tend to use the alternative 'markup' approach is if I
> want to (need to) always have the entire expressive text centered as one
> unit with the *dynamic* under the notehead vs. half on each side.
>
> Much easier I find when I need to do that.
>
> (img)

Trevor Bača
www.trevorbaca.com
soundcloud.com/trevorbaca