I figured it out, I had to make a spacer notes in a seperate voice to cover
the system break. e.g.

%%%%%
<<
\new Voice {
\once
\override TextSpanner.bound-details.left.text =
  \markup { \upright \huge "molto rit." }
s1\startTextSpan s1 s8 s8 s8 s8 s8 s8 s8 s8 s8\stopTextSpan %here is where
the system break occured

}
\new Voice {
r1 r1 r1