Hi,

I like to use an extra-offset clef *with false X-extent* to move clefs into
whitespace in my cutaway scores. This pair of overrides ...

        \once \override Staff.Clef.X-extent = ##f
        \once \override Staff.Clef.extra-offset = #'(-2.8 . 0)

... seems to do the trick.

The example from the top of the thread then rewrites this way:

%%% BEGIN %%%

\version "2.19.82"
<<
    \new Staff {
        \repeat unfold 100 { c'4 }
    }
    \new Staff {
        \repeat unfold 20 { g'2 }
        g'1
        \stopStaff
        s1*4
        \startStaff
        \once \override Staff.Clef.X-extent = ##f
        \once \override Staff.Clef.extra-offset = #'(-2.8 . 0)
        \clef treble
        \repeat unfold 20 { e'2 }
    }

%%% END %%%

[image: left-offset-clef.png]

Usage notes:

1. As always, there's the question of Grob.X-extent = ##f versus
Grob.X-extent = #'(0 . 0). I've never been able to understand,
systematically, when to use one and when to use the other. Sometimes the
overrides are interchangeable. But in this case the overrides differ
importantly: make sure to use Staff.Clef.X-extent = ##f (as shown). If you
use Staff.Clef.X-extent = #'(0 . 0) then Lily will mysteriously draw a
little extra fringe of stafflines into the white cutaway part of your score.

2. The magic value of -2.8 in the extra-offset is eyeballed; tweak manually
to control the whitespace between the clef and following barline. Change
the number when using a C of F clef.

Trevor.

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 5:08 PM Karlin High <karlinh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/24/2019 4:06 PM, Reggie wrote:
> > Need to? But what If I wish to have the clef on the right side of the
> > barline but have the notes on the other staff be lined up as if I DID put
> > clef to the left of the barline? Say I want, is this possible?
>
> The question isn't whether this is possible. LilyPond is flexible enough
> that it can be used as a graphical drawing app. Kieren MacMillan and
> Pierre Perol-Schneider have posted examples last month.
>
> Rather, the question is: How much effort is it worth expending to get
> the effect you want? So far there have been LilyPond experts who are
> willing to help, like Valentin Villenave just now. But their capacity
> for doing this is not unlimited.
> --
> Karlin High
> Missouri, USA