Thanks for this explanation.
I guess I didn't understand the design at first, but now that you point it
out, this makes a lot of sense.

> An alternate solution would be to change the procedure so that it only
> affects the musical glyphs.  This would let you shrink the symbols to
> visually match the font once you have determine what size you want the
> lettering at.  But why blame/punish the glyphs for being too big when it
> is the text that is too small?

Agreed, your original approach seems appropriate.

Thanks for all the explanation, this is very helpful.

>                         ;;; The case where mu is a list.
> >                         ;;; This next statement confuses me
> >                         ;;; since in it, we treat mu as a pair, by
> > using
> > car.
> >                         ;;; So, it it a list or a pair?
> >                         (if (eq? (car mu) musicglyph-markup)
>
> Lists are pairs.  Specifically, every (non-empty) list is a pair
> consisting of the first element and the rest of the elements, where the
> rest is itself a list or null.  "car" is used here as the means to
> access the first item of a list.  I could have said "first" which is an
> alias.

Is it possible to have a 1-element list?
If so, in pair context, would that evaluate to a first element and an empty
list?

Thanks,

Elaine Alt
415 . 341 .4954                                           "*Confusion is
highly underrated*"
ela...@flaminghakama.com
Producer ~ Composer ~ Instrumentalist ~ Educator