Hi Werner (et al.),

> I think this dispute deserves an issue in our tracker.

Agreed!

> Obviously, there are two engraving schools

I’m not sure whether it’s really two different *schools*… I think it’s a matter
of the tolerances allowed [by a given engraver] in the vertical alignment of
pedal brackets in light of the horizontal spacing/gap between pedal indication
elements.

> I can imagine that this eventually leads to two piano pedal styles in
> LilyPond.

At the very least, it would be great to be able to set tolerances which
determined (automagically) when pedal markings "snapped" to alignment.

Cheers,
Kieren.