Kieren's example does indeed work with LP 2.21.2. However, the distribution
for 2.21.2 seems to "break" a number of other functions; for instance,
\fermataMarkup no longer works.

Anyhow, I am still in the market for a better way to do this, but for the
time being will just turn off bar numbers selectively whenever a rehearsal
mark appears at the start of a system.

I did a search of the archives, and I see this has been a much discussed
topic over the years!

--
Marc Shepherd