On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 4:07 PM Mike Dean <dean...@aquinas.edu> wrote:

> Hi Carl:
> Is \include "english.ly" different from \language "english"?

It's an old form that predates \language "english".  I'm an old dog, so
sometimes I forget the new tricks.  At any rate, your snippet didn't
include \language "english", so I had to fix it.

> Part of my residing in the weeds is not being sure where \define command
> (and its relatives like \defineBarLine) ought to go...while the
> compilation didn't crash, the bar line construction was ignored in this case

\define always goes at the top level -- outside of any other expressions.

The other change I had to make in order to avoid errors was to replace #f
with "" as the third element in the \defineBarLine list.  The documentation
allows the use of #f, but it threw an error and I changed it to "",
which worked.  That was a successful guess on my part.

Carl