Hi Thibault, hi Carl,
Carl, your workaround's find but the hidden stem and flag could affect the
staff-staff spacings.
(A hidden whole/half note would affect the horizontal spacing)
E.g. :

\version "2.22.0"

\new PianoStaff <<
  \new Staff << \relative { e'16 f g e e f g e } \\ d'2 >>
  \new Staff { \clef bass e8 g e c }

\new PianoStaff <<
  \new Staff << \relative { e'16 f g e e f g e } \\ d'2 s >>
  \new Staff { \clef bass << { \hideNotes f16 } \\ { e8 g e c } >> }

% vs:

\new PianoStaff <<
  \new Staff << \relative { e'16 f g e e f g e } \\ d'2 s >>
  \new Staff { \clef bass << { \hideNotes\omit Stem f4 } \\ { e8 g e c } >>
}

% vs:

\new PianoStaff <<
  \new Staff << \relative { e'16 f g e e f g e } \\ d'2 s >>
  \new Staff { \clef bass << { \hideNotes f1 } \\ { e8 g e c } >> }

BTW, one basic question : is it a convention that an alto voice be align to
the lower voice ?

Cheers,
Pierre